My current sculpture-in-progress is a mossy cetus, an alien sea monster. It is unique because it hair-like structures on the back that I can't replicate with Sculpey without making an incredibly brittle surface. So, I'll have to take a different approach.
This is the armature. It turned out to be too wobbly so I had to perform some open heart surgery to stabilize it so the clay wouldn't crack from the stress. I added some extra steel wires that will eventually be seaweed.
I dragged a triangular wire loop across the surface to shave off the lumps.
This is what it looked like before smoothing it with turpenoid...
Halfway through texturing, I reworked the sides so they twist and bend with the animal's motion.
Trypophobes, beware! Aside from the regular texturing, I punched holes into the skin. These will hold the hairs (spanish moss, dyed black) once baked.
Just to be sure this wasn't a stupid idea, I tested it out with an untextured part of the back.
I thought it looked pretty good, so I continued.
This stage is a test of my patience, but more so will be the stage where I have to punch hairs into each of these holes.
ALL OF THEM.
To be continued...